My Promise

ON the one hand, I pledge to, as accurately as possible, present information that will help people brew and enjoy beer. ON the other hand, I will also flagrantly distort facts about things just to entertain myself. Please take it with a grain of salt. Let's learn about and enjoy craft beer with a light heart (and a nice head).

Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Brewery

A man and his gear
The brewery is coming along. The fermbox on the right is keeping a fermenter of American hefeweizen at a steady 17C, while the chest freezer is keeping another fermenter of American smoked brown at 21C, as well as some bottles which are conditioning.

21 C!

In the last post I mentioned trading my serving fridge/hops freezer for the chest freezer, 
but the trade didn't go through, and I just bought the chest freezer outright. So now I have four fridges in my house, including the kitchen fridge. Zounds. Gotta make some adjustments. But it is pretty handy having the fermbox for cool primary fementing, then the chest freezer for warmer secondary conditioning, and then the fridge for cold storage and serving.

Secondary and bottle conditioning

Yeah, I need to cut down on the number of energy sucking devices in my house. But it's all a work in progress, and I'm pretty excited that the brewery is shaping up, and I can actually start getting rid of things, rather than just acquiring new things.

Speaking of which, the new immersion chiller did a nice job on this past weekend's batch, cutting 20 minutes off the chill time, and about half the water used. That makes the other half of M&A brewing happy too.
Southern beauty with ESB

No comments:

Post a Comment

All right, let's have it!